Although India is not exactly a gambling friendly country, the people of India are fond of gambling and often defy the law by organizing illegal gambling outfits. In fact, around half the bets placed in India on a wide range of games of chance and sporting activities are believed to be illegal. Many prominent citizens of India are in favor of legalizing and regulating the gambling industry in India so that both the citizens as well as the country can benefit.
Where to Buy Tickets Online and Why MyPlaywin SUCKS!
Most people don’t realize you can play the lotteries of other countries even if you live in India. For example you can play the Euro Millions in the UK worth over €170,000,000 or the US Powerball worth $121,000,000 at the time of writing this article. They go MUCH bigger than India’s lotteries. On the other side you might win 5 Cr ( about $1 million USD) at myPlaywin for the close to the same price of the ticket. It is very naieve to play at myPlaywin when you have the same chance of winning all of the other lotteries at higher payouts for basically the same price. I personally play lottery at www.PlayHugeLottos.com where there are sometimes $1billion dollars in tickets. You can deposit with Skrill, credit card or whatever and win a ton more.
Legal Gambling in India
Betting on games of chance is legal only in two places in India—Sikkim and Goa. While Sikkim has one casino called the Sikkim Casino in Royal Plaza Hotel, Goa has seven brick-and-mortar casinos and five cruise ship casinos offering a wide range of slots and table games.
Betting on the online lottery, known as Playwin, is also legalized and regulated in India. The only other form of betting that is heavily regulated in India is the horse betting industry.
All this simply illustrates that gambling in India has a long way to go. Although the government of Sikkim attempted to issue licenses to online gambling companies in Sikkim, it did not work out, as a result of which gamblers in India do not have any Indian online betting site with its servers and offices based on Indian soil. However, some offshore online casinos service the Indian market.
Indian Online Lottery
Betting on the online lottery is considered illegal in several Indian states while it is perfectly legal in some states. This is because states have the power to either legalize or criminalize online betting activities within their jurisdiction. Fortunately for Indian bettors, online lottery is perfectly legal in Sikkim, which operates playwin.com, an online lottery game that enjoys a great deal of popularity in all Indian states that permit online betting.
Indian players who want to bet on this lottery must be more than 18 years of age and should reside in Sikkim, Maharashtra, Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, and West Bengal.
More about Playwin
The Sikkim government operates the Playwin national lottery. Launched in Nov 2001, it is the first online lottery of its kind in India and is promoted by Essel Group.
Playwin is a brand belonging to Pan India Network Ltd., which deals with data communication, infrastructure, marketing support, and services.
Playwin runs five lottery games as follows:
- Thunderball – The draw is held on Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m. and the jackpot has a reset value of INR 10 million.
- Thursday Super Lotto – The draw is held on Thursdays at 10:30 p.m. and the jackpot has a reset value of INR 20 million.
- Saturday Super Lotto – The draw is held on Saturdays at 10:30 p.m. and the jackpot has a reset value of INR 20 million
- Fast Lotto – The draw is held on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays at 9:00 p.m. and the jackpot has a value of INR 200k.
- E-play – The draw is held daily at 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. every 20 minutes with a break from 2:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
The tickets cost just INR 10 each.
The biggest Playwin jackpot ever won was INR 172.9 million by a player in Kolkata in May 2006.
How to Play the Online Lottery
Playwin lottery games can be played via phone, Internet, or with a MyPlayWin.com Card, which is available in denominations of INR 200, INR 500, INR 1000, and INR 5000. Anybody can play Playwin lottery games, but one can purchase the tickets only in India and the jackpots are won in Indian Rupees.
There are 4 ways to play the online lottery:
- Playwin Retail Outlet – You can send a text message (PRO POSTCODE) to 57575 to get information regarding the closest Playwin outlet.
- Play online – Log into www.myplaywin.com to play your favorite games.
- SMS – Log into http://mobile.myplaywin.com, register once at 57575, and send a text message whenever you want to play.
- MyPlaywin.Com Card – If you have this card, you can play the lottery from almost anywhere under the sun. These cards come with a one-year validity. You can purchase these cards at retail outlets, by texting MPHOME to 57575, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your address and phone number.
Claiming Your Online Lottery Winnings
You can cash all winnings below INR 10k on one ticket, but any winnings above that will be paid through check after deducting all the taxes.
Here is how you can claim your winnings:
- Visit the nearest Playwin outlet and cash your winnings.
- If you played online or over mobile, your winnings are credited to your MyPlayWin.com Card and you can cash your winnings at the nearest Playwin outlet.
- If you have won more than INR 10k, you must fill in a claim form, which can be downloaded from the website, and submit it along with several required documents. You will find the entire list of documents required at the MyPlayWin website. Indian players can rest assured that their winnings are 100 percent legal and considered to be taxable income.
A huge cut of the funds obtained through sale of Playwin tickets is spent on state and central government projects such as providing primary education and better infrastructure. Playwin profits have improved quality of life in several Indian states.
Playwin has so far contributed over INR 240 crores to a number of state governments, and these funds have been used to provide mid-day meals for kids in Karnataka, ambulances in Maharashtra, blood donation camps and eye check up camps in West Bengal, and others.